Wesley D. Fitzwater
I am a partner in the law firm of Fitzwater Meyer Hollis & Marmion, LLP. My practice emphasizes legal and crisis issues faced by the elderly and their families, including incapacity, guardianship and conservatorship, long-term care, and end-of-life concerns. I am a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and have received numerous recognitions and awards for my work.
I am a frequent speaker to senior groups as well as Oregon attorneys. I am an author and instructor on topics including long-term care and Medicaid planning, incapacity, guardianships and conservatorships, legal ethics and professionalism. I am also the co-editor of the Oregon State Bar publication entitled The Elder Law Handbook, a reference book for Oregon attorneys.
Born and raised in Oregon, I come from a family of attorneys with both my father and grandfather serving in the profession. I hold a B.S. from Willamette University in Salem and a J.D. from the University of Puget Sound School of Law in Tacoma, Washington.
- University of Puget Sound School of Law - J.D. (1981)
- Multnomah Bar Association (MBA)
- Clackamas County Bar Association (CCBA)
- Oregon State Bar, Elder Law Section
- Oregon State Bar, Estate Planning and Administration Section
- Clackamas County Elder Abuse Coordinated Community Response (CCR) Team
- Multnomah and Clackamas County Probate Court Advisory Committees
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Guardian/Conservator Association of Oregon
- In 1988, Wes received the Firm Award from the Multnomah County Senior Law Project or "outstanding demonstration of leadership and commitment to ensuring legal redress for the low-income elderly."
- In 1989, Wes received the OSB President’s Public Service Award, given by the President of the Oregon State Bar for "outstanding volunteer law-related service to the public."
- In 1993, Wes received an Award from the Multnomah County Board of Commissioners for his work with senior citizens in Multnomah County.
- In 2000, Wes and his law partner, Donna R. Meyer, received the Volunteer of the Year award from the Alzheimers Association for several years of speaking to and providing training to Alzheimers support groups.
- In 2006, Wes received the OSB President’s Membership Service Award, given by the President of the Oregon State Bar Association for "volunteer law-related services on behalf of Oregon lawyers."
- In 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 Wes was selected as a "Oregon Super Lawyer" by superlawyers.com